Has Toppo removed ‘JUSTICE’ from his regime to become a GoD!?
Everywhere I go, people keep saying that what happened last episode was Toppo ending an internal conflict between embodying justice and agreeing to becoming Universe 11’s god of destruction. As if it was impossible for Toppo to become God of Destruction while holding on to his version of justice. Everyone thinks he went to train under Belmod like Goku and Vegeta, simply for the power up, without really wanting to become God of Destruction.
How can anyone think that is the case?
1. Toppo loves the gods. He revers them hard. If Belmod took him in as his successor, Toppo would never ever not take the mantle the moment Belmod deemed his training finished. He would never ‘trick’ a god and his angel into making him stronger under wrong pretense like our Saiyan heroes. He would especially not take up their god powers (in this case destruction energy) for his personal agenda. And I’m pretty certain Belmod, the GoD that wants to retire, would waste his time on a mortal with a wavering heart.2. Every god we have seen so far rules over their domain the way they think is right, with all their personal biases and all their own philosophical viewpoints. They all work for some kind of balance (which might as well be just a general balance between things created and things destroyed), but they clearly are not perfectly neutral in anything they do. Toppo can be a GoD who first and foremost destroys whatever is not just in his eyes and it would be perfectly fine. So him having a hard time throwing justice away was not what stopped him from using GoD powers.
I propose that Toppo is not actually done with his apprentice training already and was just too conflicted to take over the title yet. Instead, he is not done with his training and was conflicted only over using what god powers he had obtained so far in this tournament.
That line about justice not mattering anymore was important, but it did not imply that he wasn’t sure about becoming GoD because it would interfere with his idea of justice, as there is no such requirement to becoming GoD. With Party-Belmod as his teacher, Toppo ought to be very much aware of that. No, Toppo offered to be, or was offered the position as the next GoD and he took it to become the next GoD with not a shred of doubt in his heart. As he believes the gods are pretty much as just as can be by default. I would almost go so far as to imply that from Toppos point of view, the gods decide what is just. And who but himself would be best to make sure it remains that way?
He never had any issue with becoming GoD for what the power was intended to be used. He would take the job, he wanted to. His issue instead, was using the power of gods in this tournament of mortals against other mortals, the same way Goku used the power of gods willy nilly all the time. Remember he was irked pretty hard by that when he was first introduced. A power, one might add, that is almost unfair… or unjust to use here, especially for the almost selfish reason of survival (which slightly implies his own survival, not saving or protecting his universe like Jiren is probably framing this fight).
Toppo threw away justice in the context of this tournament. This fight. One he believed, with the help of Jiren, would be impossible to lose using only his own power, because he and all his allies were on the side of justice. And justice never loses. But then it did. Worse, justice was beaten by those that in his eyes misused the power of gods and worse yet, specifically by a villain like Frieza. He decided to to something that he himself would consider bad, crush them all with godly power, and that was the hard decision he had to make.
That doesn’t mean though, that he truly let go of his justice like people are assuming. He is not, henceforth, Toppo, the man without any justice. But looking back, this will definitely become the one big stain on his personal rep sheet. It will be the time, when he stopped believing that his own power and the justice it stands for, were enough to come through. It might actually be something that puts him into a crisis later, when the manga gets past this arc, as in ‘Am I, a person that selfishly used the powers of god, worth of them at all?’.
I’m saying his own power very intentional too, since I’m mostly assuming that what he is showing right now, isn’t even his own power yet. At the very least, not all of it is. Which would further support the idea that using this power was akin to cheating in his own eyes. Some things speaking for it only being borrowed power, in my eyes, would be –
1. Belmods crest appearing on him, unlike on any other GoD that we saw fighting. Doesn’t seem normal. What would be normal though, was for an apprentice to get some destruction energy borrowed (as we saw happen with Sidras assassin) to get used to wielding it. And it manifesting like a seal or something.
2. Having to charge up destruction energy before firing it at all, also not normal and specifically pointed out by a GoD just to make sure we were all aware of it. If nothing else, this should show that he’s not truly on the level of a real GoD yet, so his destruction energy is just not generated quickly enough. Personally, I think whatever energy he got from Belmod for training is set to basically just drip out at a slow rate. So he doesn’t accidentally fire of a bunch of destruction spheres anytime he sneezes or something. A safety precaution if you will.
3. In that vein, destruction aura. Also nothing we’ve seen so far, which gives me reason to think its not entirely normal either. Of course, it could be a technique Toppo himself has devised. Or it could show that whatever destruction energy Toppo has gotten buried in him (or whatever he can create himself) is just seeping out rather uncontrolled and unfocused. That again would explain why he needs charge up times. It’s only kinda good luck that dripping destruction energy gives you a cool barrier.
4. Kaioshin mentioning that whatever he is giving of, its only almost like a gods. And while he is often naive and stupid, Kaioshin is at least able to make out an actual GoDs power (as he did when Beerus was on the move). So whatever Toppo is doing right now, its not 100% god. Unlike, say the ki of the SSG.
5. (this is in brackets because its not 100% certain, but kinda is because lets not kid ourselves, in the end, Goku or at the very least U7 will win this: Toppo will eventually be defeated and I’m almost completely sure its not going to be by Jiren and it’s not going to be by another UI awakening. The only way ‘GoD’ Toppo could possibly be defeated by Vegeta or Goku or a mixture of 17 and Frieza is if he’s not anywhere near true GoD level or if he suddenly deflates cause his GoD powers run out. That would obviously not happen to a full GoD)
I think thats all I have on the issue so far. Obviously, other things could be true and no, I wouldn’t put it past Toei staff to just make him an actual GoD because they just don’t know any better and miraculously, have him be beaten anyways. But I think they can do better and reveals in the next episodes will probably make some things a bit more clear. For Now, Peace 🙂